Frequently Asked Questions at Backyard & Beyond
Why should I buy from The Backyard & Beyond?
• We have taken pride in the workmanship of our buildings since 2015. Throughout the years, we have worked to improve quality rather than focusing on cutting costs.
• We have a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty against leaking or structural defects. We will either repair, replace or refund any item as needed.
• We hand-pick our lumber for quality and appearance.
• We build on 2×6 treated floor joists for strength and durability.
• All of our buildings have rodent-proof trim on them!
How far do you deliver?
We offer FREE delivery to the entire state of Missouri. We will even deliver to neighboring states, but we charge extra delivery based on the size of the building. Please call or email for estimated delivery to your place.
Do you need permits to deliver your buildings?
Yes. We need permits for any building that we deliver over 8 ft. wide. From 8 ft. wide to 12 ft. 4 in. wide, we use an annual blanket permit issued for 1 calendar year. From 12 ft. 4 in. wide to 16 ft. wide, we need a special single trip permit. The state tells us what route we must travel, which is not always the shortest route. We also need a special permit for any building over 13 ft. 6 in. tall when loaded on the trailer.
How do you get the building from your shop to my location?
We use a special trailer that is designed to haul our portable storage buildings.
Will it cause damage to my yard when you deliver my building?
We strive to avoid any damage when possible. We recently purchased a small delivery unit called a Mule™ which will allow us to make deliveries when the ground is too soft for a truck and trailer. It will also allow us to get into some tighter places than were previously possible.
What kind of site preparation do I need to provide?
• Be sure to have tree limbs and other obstructions cleared sufficiently to allow us to get in with your building. We allow one hour from the time we arrive at your driveway till we have your building leveled. The longer we take to get around obstructions or move items out of our way, the more likely we are to have an extra setup charge.
• We strongly recommend a level gravel site. A level 6-inch gravel pad will allow the full length of the skids under the building to spread out the weight evenly, reducing or eliminating any settling. If the gravel is allowed to extend past the edge of the building on all sides and especially in front of the door, there will be less problem with mud or splashing. We offer a 2% discount for having a level, easily accessible site. Any type of leveling material (concrete, piers, gravel) will qualify for this discount provided that we can still get our trailer in without damage.
• We do carry a selection of concrete blocks on deliveries and include leveling with the setup of your building, although using blocks focuses the weight of your building on a smaller point, increasing the chance of settling. If your site is more than 12 inches out of level, please let us know so that we may have sufficient blocks along.
What are the benefits of portable storage barns vs. stationary barns?
• It adds value to your property, and you can generally get them more quickly, plus you might not need a large building in your back yard. All of our buildings come with a key-locked door handle.
• A portable building can be moved with you if you sell your property and move, or you can sell it for a profit if you no longer need it.
Do you use metal roofing and siding on all your buildings?
We normally use metal because of its strength and maintenance-free character, but we will build with wood or vinyl siding and shingle roofing. These are generally higher priced and are not maintenance-free.
Do you use screws or nails in the construction of your buildings?
We use both. We use nails for the wood framing portion and color-matched screws for all the metal roofing and siding. We use galvanized nails in all treated wood and ring shank or spiral shank nails to prevent pull-out.
What color can I have my shed built and trimmed in?
We have 23 metal colors from which to choose. You may choose any combination of colors for your sidewalls, roofing, and trim for no extra charge.
Can I have a cupola put on my shed or barn roof?
Yes, we offer that as an optional accessory for your building.